Ole Miss will be fined $250K next time fans storm the field

first_imgVaught-Hemingway StadiumVaught-Hemingway StadiumOXFORD – The next time Ole Miss fans storm the field at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, it will cost the school a quarter of a million dollars. The Southeastern Conference announced new – and much harsher — field-storming rules on Friday at the league’s annual spring meetings. Per the new policy, first-time field storming offenders will be slapped with a $50,000 fine. Schools will pay $100,000 for a second offense and $250,000 for third-time and any other subsequent offenses.Previously, the league rules gave out a $5,000 fine for the first offense, $25,000 for the second and $50,000 for the third. The penalties would also reset after three years. No more. Ole Miss had to write a $50,000 check to the SEC last October, when its fans committed their third offense and stormed the field after the Rebels beat then-No. 3 Alabama. Schools don’t get a blank slate with the new rules, so the Rebels would have to fork over the full $250,000 if it happens again.“This is designed to be a deterrent,” SEC commissioner Mike Slive told reporters in Destin, Fla. “This is designed to try to change the culture about rushing the field, understanding that it’s viewed by some as a tradition. But it’s a tradition that runs into the question of health and safety of not only the fans themselves but the coaches and players.”Of course, the Rebels didn’t have to dip into their own pockets to pay the fine last season. On top of the $50,000 fine, the fans ripped down the goalposts, which cost an estimated $11,000 each to replace — bringing the total to $75,000. Ole Miss set up a fundraiser website, which brought in more than $80,000 in donations. Kentucky, LSU and South Carolina were also fined last year. “It’s just a way of sending a message. It’s a way of communicating to the conference that this is serious,” Slive told ESPN.com. “And the money is serious.”Slive also added that the commissioner may also levy “additional penalties” on top of the $250,000 fine for third-time offenses if he feels they’re necessary.last_img read more

Guyana Police Force is being used to muzzle protesters in Region Six

first_imgDear Editor,The Guyana Police Force is mandated to protect and serve the people, unfortunately, the priority of the Police Force is to serve and protect the APNU/AFC coalition Government Ministers, Government officials, while the ordinary Guyanese is being sacrificed to the mercy of bandits and criminals, thanks to the incompetence of Khemraj Ramjattan and the APNU/AFC coalition Government.The security situation in Guyana remains a serious concern for every single Guyanese. The APNU/AFC coalition Government promised the Guyanese people in 2015 that high emphasis would be placed on the security of Guyanese but the only thing that changed was the name of the Ministry that is responsible for security, increased police security for Ministers, leaving Guyana with an uncontrolled level of crimes in the entire country. The Minister who is directly responsible for public security, Khemraj Ramjattan, and the Guyana Police Force boastfully, in reports, stats and the media, highlighted that the crime situation is under control but the reality is quite opposite.The facts are that Guyanese have definitely lost confidence in the Guyana Police Force, whereby people are even refusing to report incidents that they have encountered, and even if these matters are reported, the Police Force is of no help. I am confident that the response that would be given by Khemraj Ramjattan and other Government officials is that crime is under control.A 170-year Indian culture in Guyana where music is being played for weddings is being stopped by Ramjattan and the GPF. This Indian tradition is being strangled by this APNU/AFC Government and confined to Berbice alone.The Guyana Police Force is being used as a political football. Recently at a picketing exercise at New Amsterdam Multilateral School, protesters were being forced by the police to move about 500 feet from the entrance of the school while thugs of the APNU/AFC were allowed to remain at the entrance of the school. APNU/AFC thugs were allowed by the police to behave abusively towards protesters while the police refused to remove them from in front of the school entrance. The police even tolerated the loud abusive and taunts.The protesters who were exercising their constitutional rights were not given that privilege, senior police officers ensured that four policemen were placed to keep protesters 500 feet away from the entrance of the school. During the PPP/C Government in office, during the 2015 campaign, protesters were allowed at the location of a meeting in Lusignan, East Coast Demerara. I’m still contemplating if we had a change in rules now.The big question is, are we moving to a full-fledged dictatorship where the Police Force is being used to subdue and stifle democracy? David Granger’s visits to New Amsterdam Multilateral School is an insult to the lives of many of those students whose parents were dismissed from the sugar estates by this Granger Administration, and can barely afford to be in school, the students’ cash grant was taken away by Granger’s APNU/AFC Government and with the same breath, Granger is preaching that his Government wants every child to be in school, that is “high class hypocrisy”. Granger’s rhetoric about regional involvement is just to mislead the populace. The 1 million dollar cash grant by Granger is a pittance, compared to approximately 100 million dollars that is being spent at Bermine Ground for the Republic Celebration in 2020. So you the people can actually determine what is the priority of this illegal APNU/AFC coalition Government.Regards,Zamal Hussainlast_img read more

Lulzsec Hacks U.S. Senate

first_imgRelated Posts A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… curt hopkins Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Marketcenter_img Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Tags:#Government#NYT#security#web The hacking group Lulzsec broke into the U.S. Senate’s website and stole information. On its site, it posted which it reposted “a small, just-for-kicks release of some internal data from Senate.gov.”The Senate’s Deputy Sergeant at Arms, Maria Bradford, told Reuters that the group penetrated the public side of the site only and has not created a lasting security problem. “Although this intrusion is inconvenient, it does not compromise the security of the Senate’s network, its members or staff,” she said. “Specifically, there is no individual user account information on the server supporting senate.gov that could have been compromised.”The group outlined the rationale for its latest action in its statement:“We don’t like the US government very much. Their boats are weak, their lulz are low, and their sites aren’t very secure. In an attempt to help them fix their issues, we’ve decided to donate additional lulz in the form of owning them some more!”The Senate is the frequent target of hacking attacks, fending off tens of thousands each month, according to Senate Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer.Busy beavers, Lulzsec hacked into the website of Sony Pictures earlier this month. Other targets include PBS (for a Frontline documentary on Wikileaks) and two against game makers Bethesda Softworks. http://www.bethsoft.com/eng/index/The motivations of hackers are rarely as clear-cut as their detractors insist they are (simple criminality) or as laudable as they themselves insist they are. The Senate, Lulzsec say, was hacked to encourage them to increase their security and Bethesda to “speed up the production of Skyrim,” a game. Either the group is being disingenuous or are wildly deluded as to how their actions will be received by either a government organization or a game devs. Other sources: The Hacker News, Forbes, Los Angeles Timeslast_img read more

Will keeping an eye on the driver save autonomous cars?

first_imgIT Trends of the Future That Are Worth Paying A… For Self-Driving Systems, Infrastructure and In… Tags:#autonomous cars#Bosch#Internet of Things#IoT#safety#Self-Driving#sensors#Visteon#Volkswagen 5 Ways IoT can Help to Reduce Automatic Vehicle… Break the Mold with Real-World Logistics AI and…center_img Autonomous cars need a lot of sensors to drive on the road without human assistance, and in-car sensors may be the next necessary step. The sensors would be able to inform the artificial intelligence controlling the vehicle on the positions of people inside the car and the driver’s focus.Researchers from German firm Fraunhofer said AI needs to know what’s going on inside autonomous cars. “Using depth-perception cameras, we capture the vehicle’s interior, identify the number of people, their size and their posture. From this we can deduce their activities,” said research group manager Michael Voit.See Also: Tesla blames crash on braking system, not AutoPilotUsing that information, AI systems will be better prepared if an incident occurs. The car, for example, could turn to a side where no-one is sitting. If the driver falls asleep, it could alert them when the car enters an urban zone, where they may need to take control.Is it an invasion of privacy?There are already systems in place that can recognize the weight and size of a person sitting in the car, but for other things, like ascertaining if the driver is paying attention, the car is currently in the dark.The recent death of a Florida man allegedly watching a movie while his Tesla – in autopilot mode – collided with a truck has the issue of “driver,” or rider, awareness at the forefront of this burgeoning industry.In-car sensors may be seen as an invasion of privacy, so if deployed manufacturers would need to be extra careful to make sure data is private and it captures the minimum amount necessary.Fraunhofer has tested the in-car sensors in a driving simulation, and plans to deploy the sensors in the real-world sometime in the near future.It is working with Volkswagen, Bosch, Visteon and others to build the “Intelligent Car Interior” project, funded primarily by the German government. The goal is to make the inside of the car safer in the self-driving age. Related Posts David Currylast_img read more

Miocic, Cormier set to defend titles at UFC 220

first_imgBeautyMNL open its first mall pop-up packed with freebies, discounts, and other exclusives Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games ‘A complete lie:’ Drilon refutes ‘blabbermouth’ Salo’s claims MOST READ Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim SEA Games: PH still winless in netball after loss to Thais Stipe Miocic (17-2) looks to set a UFC heavyweight division record with a third straight successful title defense when he fights Francis Ngannou (11-1). The 31-year-old Ngannou hasn’t needed to go beyond the first round in any of his last four bouts and has never gone past the second in his 12 pro fights. Ngannou fights just seven weeks after his stunning victory of Alistair Overeem at UFC 218.Daniel Cormier (19-1) defends the light heavyweight title against Switzerland’s Volkan Oezdemir (15-1).FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingUFC held its fifth card at TD Garden, the first since 2016, and the company said the arena was sold out. Thunder thump Cavs, keep LeBron shy of 30,000 points LATEST STORIES UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier, left, taunts Volkan Oezdemir, right, during their weigh-in the night before their Ultimate Fighting Championship bout Friday, Jan. 19, 2018, in Boston. UFC president Dana White stands between the fighters. (AP Photo/Stephan Savoia)BOSTON — UFC is back in Boston.The top MMA promotion returned to TD Garden Saturday night with the heavyweight and light heavyweight belts on the line on the same card for the first time since 2003.ADVERTISEMENT PH military to look into China’s possible security threat to power grid Jordan delivers on promise: 2 Cobra choppers now in PH View comments ‘We cannot afford to fail’ as SEA Games host – Duterte Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’last_img read more