Flying high with Brand SA

first_imgSeventy-five competitors and officials from 15 countries around the world battled it out for global domination at the recent 20th Precision Flying World Championships held in Brits, North West province.last_img

Breaking News in the Industry: August 5, 2016

first_imgNew Chip Card Security Flaw FoundA new flaw has turned up in the chip-based cards on offer in the US. According to new data released by researchers at NCR, credit card thieves can apparently rewrite the magstripe such that the card looks to be chipless when run through a card reader machine — even though such machines should kick back the swipe and tell the user to insert the chip. This means fraudsters can continue to clone magstriped EMV cards and find them useful.The hole is made possible, according to reports, because retailers are not encrypting their transactions as part of their EMV upgrade. “There’s a common misperception EMV solves everything. It doesn’t,” noted Patrick Watson, one of the researchers. The new flaw adds another line to retail’s ongoing list of complaints about EMV. The NRF has complained that the expensive upgrade ($25 billion) has done little to make retailers safer since unencrypted transactions are essentially just as hackable as they’ve ever been. [Source: PYMTS.com] Shoplifting Case Helps Identify Possible Child AbuseWhat started as a shoplifting investigation ended with a mother being arrested for investigation of child abuse and her two daughters taken into state custody. About 3:15 p.m. Tuesday, an officer was called to a convenience store on a report of a possible shoplifting, said Salt Lake police detective Cody Lougy. The officer found a 10-year-old girl who had taken something, and noticed that the girl “had a swollen face from her ear to the bottom of her jaw and was bleeding from the ear,” according to a Salt Lake County Jail report. The girl told the officer her mother, Lucinda Escobar, 30, had beaten her with a belt that had “large circles” on it, and used a second belt to wrap around her neck and “repeatedly punched and slapped the victim in the face while pulling the belt,” the report states. The girl also said she had been beaten with a phone cord on another occasion, according to police. The girl was taken to a local hospital to be checked out for “multiple injuries,” Lougy said.- Sponsor – As investigators questioned the girl, they learned her 5-year-old sister, who was still at home, had been beaten with a belt that same day. Officers found the 5-year-old who repeated what her sister had told detectives, according to the report. Escobar was arrested for investigation of intentional child abuse and reckless child abuse, in addition to child endangerment and possession of drug paraphernalia. A methamphetamine pipe was found in the apartment in an area where the children’s clothes are kept, police say. [Source: DesertNews.com]Ex-Officer Should Serve 2 1/2 Years for ManslaughterA jury recommended 2 1/2 years in prison for a white former police officer convicted of voluntary manslaughter on Thursday in the shooting death of an unarmed black man who had been accused of shoplifting. The ex-officer, Stephen Rankin, shot 18-year-old William Chapman in the face and chest outside a Walmart store last year after a security guard called police to go after the young man. No video recorded the actual killing, and testimony conflicted on the details of what happened. But most witnesses said Chapman had his hands up, and prosecutor Stephanie Morales said the officer could have used non-deadly force.The officer “brought a gun into what is at worst a fist fight,” Morales told the jury, which deliberated for nearly two days before returning its verdict. Rankin, 36, faced one to 10 years on the manslaughter conviction. Morales asked jurors to give him the maximum, while defense attorney James Broccoletti argued that no amount of jail time would bring Chapman back to life. A judge will formally sentence Rankin on Oct. 12. The judge doesn’t have to follow the jury’s recommendation, but can’t increase the penalty.Rankin, who was fired from the Portsmouth police force after being indicted, had already killed another unarmed suspect, four years earlier, and many in the mostly black city of 100,000 saw his trial as a chance for accountability as police shootings continue around the country. [Source: NewsOn6.com]Four Men Face Racketeering Charges for Selling Counterfeit Denver Broncos MerchandiseFour men face racketeering charges after they allegedly sold counterfeit Denver Broncos football merchandise at the Mile High Flea Market in Commerce City for nine years, officials say.The defendants all surrendered to law enforcement officers and were released on $20,000 bail each. The four allegedly sold the NFL gear between Nov. 14, 2006, and Nov. 10, 2015, according to a news release by Sue Lindsay, Young’s spokeswoman. David A. Thompson, special agent in charge of Homeland Security Investigations in Denver, said the investigation uncovered an international counterfeit network. “This investigation uncovered hundreds of thousands of dollars in money wired to China to finance these counterfeit products and more than 20 shell companies furthering this illegal activity,” Thompson said in a news release. “Not only do these counterfeiting organizations produce inferior merchandise, which is sometimes dangerous, these counterfeits also hurt legitimate businesses in the United States, which can hinder job growth and support criminal organizations around the world.DHS agents seized $68,000 in counterfeit NFL merchandise from the Miskos’ booth at the flea market on Jan. 10, 2015. The charges allege that the operation purchased more than $868,000 in counterfeit merchandise from China beginning in 2006 until late 2014 for sale in the Denver area, Lindsay’s news release says. All four defendants are charged with operating a criminal enterprise of trademark counterfeiting in violation of the Colorado Organized Crime Control Act. [Source: DenverPost.com]Winona Ryder: “Shoplifting Conviction was a Blessing in Disguise”Actress Winona Ryder insists her 2001 shoplifting arrest was not “the crime of the century” some media outlets suggested it was. The Beetlejuice star was convicted of attempting to steal items amounting to $5,500 from Beverly Hills department store Saks Fifth Avenue, and now almost 15 years on, Winona can reflect on what she was going through at that time, and believes her criminal record was a blessing in disguise.“Psychologically, I must have been at a place where I just wanted to stop,” she told Porter magazine. “I won’t get into what happened, but it wasn’t what people think. And it wasn’t like the crime of the century! But it allowed me time that I really needed, where I went back to San Francisco and got back into things that… I just had other interests, frankly.” After taking a few years off following her conviction, Winona returned to acting with a new sense of passion and purpose. [Source: Belfast Telegraph] Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox.  Sign up nowlast_img read more

Private Clouds: Standards For Interoperability Could Spur Adoption

first_imgPrivate cloud infrastructure is now a hot topic with many IT organizations.   The benefits cloud computing include agility, flexibility and cost savings, but for many, worries about security, loss of control, compliance and other legal issues when data is moved to the public cloud have kept many organizations away.  Private cloud computing is an alternative that many companies, especially large companies, are now considering.In an eWeek article, Matthew Richards, senior director of Product Marketing, Cloud Computing, at CA Technologies said that “There’s a lot of interest in building private clouds on the part of large enterprises today. It’s becoming more and more important for IT departments to think of themselves as an internal service provider and focus on the services that are being delivered to business people.”The larger the cloud structure and the larger the number of participants, the more efficiencies of scale that can be achieved.  A private cloud is unlikely to ever be as cost efficient as what can be achieved with a large public cloud offering like Amazon or Salesforce.com.  Salesforce.com CEO Marc Benioff, for example, has warned of problems with the public cloud.  “Beware of the false cloud.  The false cloud is not efficient,” he said.In order to facilitate the building of and management of private cloud infrastructure, standards are beginning to be established.   One such standard, called OVF (Open Virtualization Format) would allow the interoperability of different virtual environments.  Consider a private cloud with the capability of being able to “cloudburst” in periods of heavy demand to use the resources of a public cloud.  But interoperability only comes when a large number of vendors move to support a standard like OVF.OVF is a standard that came about in 2007 and is managed by the Desktop Management Task Force and it has now become an ANSI standard.   The adoption of OVF by cloud vendors will bring users more flexibility and help them to avoid lock-in into any one particular vendor.  OVF would allow users to move their data easily between cloud vendors.  But not all vendors are excited about implementing it.  Amazon, for one, is still on the sidelines when it comes to OVF.last_img read more

Roma work on Smalling deal

first_imgRoma have begun working on a permanent deal for Chris Smalling after the defender’s strong start on loan from Manchester United. Smalling is already a fans’ favourite at Roma, putting a muscle problem behind him to feature in all of the Giallorossi’s last five games. Now, according to Gianluca Di Marzio and Il Tempo, sporting director Gianluca Petrachi is making plans to thrash out a permanent transfer in the coming weeks. The Englishman’s move to the Olimpico at the end of August was only a dry loan, although the Lupi paid United €3m to borrow him. Despite Roma’s chronic injury problems, he has forged a quick understanding with fellow new boy Gianluca Mancini at centre-back. Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/last_img read more

Lautaro: ‘This cannot happen’

first_img Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/ Lautaro Martinez was visibly upset after a 3-2 defeat to Borussia Dortmund. “Inter were a completely different team after the break. This cannot happen.” The Argentine is the first Inter player to score in three consecutive Champions League games since Samuel Eto’o reached four in 2010. He had opened the scoring, followed by a Matias Vecino goal, but the 2-0 lead at half-time made little difference. “We did really well in the first half, but were a completely different team in the second. Perhaps we showed a lack of maturity, as we changed entirely after the break,” Lautaro told Sky Sport Italia. “It wasn’t physical, it was a lack of concentration and the drop-off in intensity more than anything else. We were leading 2-0, we cannot lose 3-2. It cannot happen. We need to mature and grow to play at this level. “We have not lost hope of qualifying, we’ve been trailing since the start in this group, but we can do it.”last_img read more

NAIDOC Week

first_imgA maximum of twenty teams entered the annual NAIDOC Touch Football tournament hosted at the Deakin Playing Fields. NAIDOC celebrates the survival of Indigenous culture and the Indigenous contribution to modern Australia. All Australians are encouraged to participate in NAIDOC Week activities.Defence won the tournament, winning all their games including the final 2 – 0 over ADG. Earlier in the day, Defence defeated RA Mint 5 – 0 to claim a spot in the Grand Final and ADG defeated DIAC 3 – 2 to do likewise.The day was hosted by Touch Football ACT and sponsored by the Australian Public Service Commission (APSC).Touch Football ACT would like to thank APSC for their generous sponsorship, the referees for giving up their time to officiate, and Chris Castro for organising the event.Further information about NAIDOC activities can be viewed from www.naidoc.org.aulast_img read more

Ameryst Alston selected 24th overall in WNBA draft

OSU senior guard Ameryst Alston (14) dribbles the ball during a game against Nebraska on Feb. 18 at the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Samantha Hollingshead | Photo EditorMany dream, but only few get the opportunity to play the game they love for a living. After a successful four years stepping on the court for the Ohio State women’s basketball program, Ameryst Alston will now have the chance to do just that.Alston, a 5-foot-9 combo guard, was selected as the No. 24 overall pick in the second round of the 2016 WNBA draft Thursday evening by the New York Liberty. With the WNBA’s season beginning June 5, Alston will move out to New York City to begin the new chapter in her basketball career.As a Buckeye, Alston was an essential piece to the roster, immediately having an impact on the team’s success when she arrived to Columbus.Not only did Alston help lead the Scarlet and Gray to wins, but also solidified her name in the program’s record books.To start, Alston scored her 2,000th career point in her senior campaign, finishing as the No. 4 scorer in program history with 2,165 total points. She also ranks No. 7 in career assists with 455 and No. 3 in games played with 134.The Canton native was recognized throughout her collegiate career at the conference and national levels. Alston was selected to the All-Big Ten freshman team her first year with OSU, honored on the All-Big Ten first team three times and earned national player of the week for the week of Feb. 15.Alston is the first Buckeye to get drafted in the WNBA since Samantha Prahalis in 2012, who was selected as the sixth overall pick by the Phoenix Mercury. read more

Neymar staying at PSG – Emery

first_imgOutgoing boss Unai Emery is certain that Neymar will remain at Paris Saint-Germain for next season and has revealed that the forward has told the club he is tired of the “lies” about his uncertain futureThe Brazilian has been strongly linked with summer moves to both Real Madrid and Manchester United, despite having only completed a world record transfer of €222m from Barcelona last summer.Neymar has a contract at the Parc Des Princes until 2022 with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi stating on Saturday that he is “2000 percent” certain that the 26-year-old will be at PSG for next season.Emery, who will be replaced by Thomas Tuchel after two seasons in charge, also agrees with the club president.“This season there have been times when everything related to Neymar was oversized,” he told Cadena SER, via Goal.“Neymar is not talking much. He told us he was tired of the lies that are told.Opinion: Neymar will earn respect back from the PSG fans Tomás Pavel Ibarra Meda – September 14, 2019 After completing his incredible return to Parc des Princes, we predict that Neymar will earn the respect back from PSG supporters.The situation between Neymar…“I’m not going to be Neymar’s spokesperson, but I think the next season he is going to stay at PSG. It would be the right thing for the player and for the club.”The former Sevilla coach revealed that he believes that Neymar is on par with the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.“I have really enjoyed Neymar. I was very happy with him. He is at the level of Cristiano [Ronaldo] and [Lionel] Messi,” said the Spaniard.“The injury has hurt him because he could have gotten his best numbers. I am convinced he will reach the maximum level.”Neymar was recently named the Ligue 1 Player of the Year after scoring 19 goals and providing 13 assists for PSG in just 20 league appearances.last_img read more

Germany receives Manuel Neuer as he plans for World Cup games

first_imgThe Bayern Munich star goalkeeper strives to overcome a fractured foot he suffered last September so he would be able to lead his nation to Russia in few weeks.Manuel Neuer stepped up his comeback from injury with Germany by playing an impressive 30 minutes in a test match after eight-month lay-off for Germany U20s.While Neuer was away, Joachim Low took Barcelona shot-stopper Marc-Andre Ter Stegen, leaving him with a tough predicament. Although Bernd Leno and Kevin Trapp are the other options in Die Mannschaft’s provisional squad, one of those two set will be cut on Monday on FIFA’s deadline for final squads.The 32-year-old was only beaten by Thomas Muller from the penalty spot and a strike from Julian Draxler in the test match.RB Leipzig, Bayern Munich, Robert LewadowskiMatch Preview: RB Leipzig vs Bayern Munich Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 RB Leipzig will have the chance to prove their title-winning capabilities when they host Bayern Munich today at 18:30 (CET).Germany’s assistant coach Thomas Schneider hailed Neuer’s impressive saves saying via The Sun:“He faced some shots on goal and made a few very good saves.“It is another step in the right direction.”last_img read more