25 October 2012 South Africa is ready to host a successful 2013 African Cup of Nations (Afcon) tournament, President Jacob Zuma said at the final draw for the 29th edition of Africa’s biggest soccer festival at the International Convention Centre in Durban on Wednesday evening. From 19 January to 10 February 2013, the world’s eyes will once again be on South Africa as 16 of Africa’s best footballing nations battle it out for the continental crown. South Africa had a proud track record of hosting wonderful sporting events, Zuma said at Wednesday’s draw, adding that the 2013 Afcon finals would “be a timely reflection on the legacy of the 2010 Fifa World Cup, which we hosted successfully with the support of the African continent.” Zuma extended his special congratulations to Cape Verde, who will be appearing in the tournament for the first time after eliminating one of the giants of African football, Cameroon, in the qualifiers. Zuma said the tournament would be a special occasion for South Africa as Bafana would be making a return after a four-year absence from the continental competition. Zuma had earlier, during the draw, brought a sigh of relief to South Africans when he drew underdogs Cape Verde as Bafana’s opening match opponents. The host team was drawn in Group A with Cape Verde, Morocco and Angola. These four teams will be based in Durban. Group B, which will be based in Port Elizabeth, comprises Ghana, DRC, Niger and Mali. Defending champions Zambia are in group C with Ethiopia, Burkina Faso and Nigeria. These teams will based in Mbombela, Mpumalanga. The “group of death”, group D, comprises Ivory Coast, Togo, Algeria and Tunisia. Afcon local organising committee (LOC) chairman Mwelo Nonkonyane gave an assurance to the Confederation of African Football, the 16 participating national teams, South Africans and the entire African continent that they would not let them down. “We wish to assure the African football [fraternity] that we use football as a tool to uproot our people from the circles of poverty, war and diseases to promote peace in Africa. “We can assure you that as you go home to start preparing for this tournament and come back to battle for this coveted trophy, you will find the LOC ready to deliver a seamless tournament,” Nonkonyane said. “We’ve put in place plans around team transport, training venues, team hotels, including team security and escort mechanisms, and spectator experience that will ensure that every single stadium has an offering that is unique.” Source: SANews.gov.za
The Retail Equation and Sysrepublic, industry leaders in retail analytics solutions and the newly merged retail business unit of Appriss, today named Sean P. Manion vice president of regional sales. With 28 years of retail sales experience, Manion is exceptionally skilled at selling technology-based solutions and has deep experience in the retail industry, specifically across vertical markets such as specialty, department stores, grocery, hospitality, and automotive. He will be responsible for leading the continued growth of The Retail Equation and Sysrepublic’s suite of retail analytics solutions.Prior to joining the company, Manion held several executive-level sales positions with Demandware, Inc.; GlobalBay/Verifone Inc.; and MICROS-Retail. While at MICROS-Retail, Manion led the company’s growth for 10 years through the sale of solutions for point-of-sale and retail loss prevention. He has worked with more than 80 retailers throughout his sales career.“As retailers continue to realize significant value from The Retail Equation’s and Sysrepublic’s combined retail exception-based reporting and return fraud solutions, there is increasing demand for these services,” said Mark Hammond, CEO of The Retail Equation. “Manion’s deep experience working with retailers across many vertical markets will support our aggressive growth initiatives.”- Sponsor – Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox. Sign up now
Having found the winning touch in their last match, Kolkata Knight Riders would be hoping to maintain the momentum when they host Rajasthan Royals in an Indian Premier League return match here on Friday.The timing could not have been better for the Knights to capitalise as the Royals are coming off a battering at the hands of Mumbai Indians in their last game.With the Knight Riders’s next match, against the Kings XI Punjab on Sunday, also scheduled at home, maintaining the winning momentum will top their agenda.Whereas Rahul Dravid’s men appear a bit tired with the hectic scheduling, the Knights are fortunate to get a day’s extra break after their win against the Royal Challengers Bangalore on Tuesday.It took the think-tank a bit of chopping and changing to get to the winning mode after the back-to-back losses against Delhi Daredevils and Rajasthan Royals in season five. The four changes in the line-up meant that skipper Gautam Gambhir elevated himself to his usual slot, dropping out of form Kiwi opener Brendon McCullum, a move that set the tone in their much-needed maiden victory this season. Gambhir led the way with a brisk 39-ball 64 to set up a total of 166, which eventually turned out to be a winning one. But their biggest plus point was the inclusion of veteran seamer Laxmipathy Balaji whose fired-up spell of 4-1-18-4, after Kallis took the prized-scalp of Chris Gayle, set-up the victory.”Balaji is a quality bowler and has the capability to take wickets on any pitch. Hats off to him for the way he bowled. This was the best spell that I have ever seen in a Twenty20 competition,” Gambhir said. “It feels nice to finally get a win under our belt. To be honest, it was a team effort. I am pretty happy by the performance of the boys.”KKR would hope that sports psychologist Dr Rudi Webster gives some mantra to the explosive Yusuf Pathan.Yusuf had scored 1011 for the Royals at an average of 26.6 and with a strike-rate of 161.2, to go with his 20 wickets, but is yet to notch up a fifty representing the Knight Riders.All-rounder Shakib Al Hasan, who was finally included in the line-up after much criticism, is yet to fire and the Bangladeshi would be keen to be in the thick of action on the slow Eden Gardens strip.It would be naive to write off the Royals, who turned it around with successive wins against Kings XI Punjab and Kolkata Knight Riders in the first-leg. For Dravid and Co, having experienced their first defeat in Mumbai — their first in an away match — it would be a challenge to conquer the odds outside home.The bowling would be the main concern for Rajasthan ahead of their second outing away from home. The bowlers were at the receiving end against Kieron Pollard in the teams 27-run loss to Mumbai Indians. The team would hope that the bowlers stick to the task the way they did against the same team in the first-leg while defending 164.”We have a young bowling attack, there’s a little inexperience there. But there are lessons to be learnt. we will try and keep improving,” Dravid said after their loss in Mumbai.Batting is not much of a worry though with Ajinkya Rahane and Owais Shah in splendid form. The duo gave Mumbai a run for money before the Englishman was castled by Lasith Malinga. In their last meeting, Rahane was out for a duck after a superb 98 against Kings XI in their campaign opener. The orthodox top-order batsman would look to open his account against the Knights.advertisement
Chelsea still keen on Borussia Dortmund midfielder Christian Pulisicby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea remain in the hunt for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Christian Pulisic.The Telegraph says the 20-year-old winger has been heavily linked with a move to Stamford Bridge during the mid-season sales.Chelsea are on the hunt for long-term replacements for Pedro and Willian – and Pulisic would fit the bill.He is under contract at Borussia Dortmund until 2020 so the Bundesliga giants are running out of time to cash in.And Chelsea are hopeful of securing Pulisic’s services.But it is claimed that BVB bosses will dig their heels in until the summer transfer window. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
SNAPPED: Rooney searched before seeing Man Utd defeat Huddersfieldby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveDC United striker Wayne Rooney took in Manchester United’s win over Huddersfield Town.The forward, who played for United between 2004 and 2017, was pictured at Old Trafford before fans were allowed in, and captioned his post with a love heart.Rooney, who attended the game with the family of his wife Colleen, was a pundit for BT Sport for new caretaker manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s first game in charge at Cardiff.Wayne Rooney for Manchester United: Games – 559 Goals – 253United steward be like…“Better safe than sorry.” #mufc  pic.twitter.com/ETzFlDGDcp— United Xtra (@utdxtra) December 26, 2018 About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Georgia’s men’s basketball coach Mark Fox got pretty upset with the Bulldogs’ student section Saturday afternoon. His team is facing Auburn in Athens, Ga. During the second half of the contest, Georgia’s students began chanting at Tigers’ coach Bruce Pearl. This did not please Fox, who proceeded to yell at the Georgia student section, asking them to stop. Georgia students were chanting something about Bruce Pearl, couldn’t hear what. Whatever it was, Mark Fox asked them to stop.— Seth Emerson (@SethEmerson) February 14, 2015It appears the Bulldogs’ students were chanting “Bruce Pearl Sucks!”Part of student section starts chanting “Bruce Pearl sucks” during Auburn free throw. Mark Fox walks over & yells at them to stop. #class— Wilson Alexander (@Alexander_taGr8) February 14, 2015That’s a pretty classy move from Fox. Student sections can be fairly mean-spirited. Georgia and Auburn are currently playing on FSN.
NEW DELHI – “Trump has arrived. Have you?” shout the barrage of glossy front-page advertisements in almost every major Indian newspaper.The ads, which have run repeatedly in the past few days, herald the arrival not of the American president but of his eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., who is in New Delhi to sell luxury apartments and lavish attention on wealthy Indians who have already bought units in a Trump-branded development outside the Indian capital.The newspaper ads promise that buyers who order apartments in the development by Thursday will get “a conversation and dinner” with Trump Jr. a day later.President Trump has pledged to avoid any new foreign business deals during his term in office to avoid potential ethical conflicts. While the projects that Trump Jr. is promoting in India were inked before his father was elected, ethics experts have long seen the use of the Trump name to promote even existing business ventures as tricky territory.The distinction between old and new projects can be hazy, they note, and new deals can be shoehorned into old.Several foreign deals touted over the past year by the Trump sons have “stretched the definition of what ventures were previously in the works,” said Scott H. Amey, general counsel for the non-partisan Project on Government Oversight in Washington.“The president should be putting the public’s interest before his business interests. That can’t happen if his son is flying around the world trying to trade on the fact that his father is sitting in the Oval Office.”This isn’t the first time that President Trump’s sons have raised ethical concerns as they promote their eponymous brand across the world.Early last year Trump Jr. and his brother Eric opened a Trump-branded golf club in Dubai.The brothers, who now lead the Trump Organization, watched as fireworks lit the sky over the Trump International Golf Club to mark the event.On Tuesday morning, Donald Trump Jr. posed for photos in New Delhi with Indian developers building complexes in four cities. Among the business partners accompanying him was Kalpesh Mehta who heads Tribeca, the firm described as the main Indian partner for Trump-brand real estate projects.Mehta came to notice soon after President Trump’s November election victory, when pictures of him and two other Trump Indian real estate partners with the president-elect in New York made a big splash in Indian and American media.Later in the week, Trump Jr. is scheduled to give a speech about Indo-Pacific relations at a New Delhi business summit, sharing the stage with Prime Minister Narendra Modi.Trump Jr. may be raising another set of ethics concerns by offering his thoughts on international relations, said Lawrence Noble, senior director of the non-profit Campaign Legal Center in Washington.“The assumption is he has his father’s ear,” Noble said. “By talking about international relations and sharing the stage with government officials, he’s acting as an informal ambassador for the U.S. at the same time he’s selling properties in India. It just blurs the lines even more.”Trump Jr. is on a private visit and the State Department has not interacted with him regarding his meetings or his speech, spokesman Heather Nauert said from Washington. “Mr. Trump’s comments during the trip reflect his personal views and not necessarily those of the U.S. government.”In Gurgaon, the sprawling and ever-growing New Delhi satellite city where a new Trump Towers will eventually rise, the construction site is just mountains of dirt and unruly shrubbery, one of many residential projects yet to be built. Buyers can hope to move into their swanky homes sometime in 2023.For miles upon miles, the landscape is little more than tin-roofed huts for construction labourers and tiny makeshift food shacks to keep them fed.And while there’s almost nothing at the Trump construction site, a handful of burly guards enthusiastically insisted on keeping journalists out of the area.The Trump Organization has licensing agreements with all its Indian business partners, who build the properties and acquire the Trump name in exchange for a fee. The organization has five projects in India, making it the brand’s largest market outside the United States. A luxury complex is already open in the central city of Pune, with other developments in varying stages of construction in the coastal cities of Mumbai and Kolkata, and two in Gurgaon.The apartments are expensive, though not outrageously so in the overheated real estate world of the Indian rich. Still, in a country of 1.3 billion, where many people can barely afford $100 a month to rent a shack in a crowded shantytown, apartments in the Trump Towers complex in Gurgaon run between $775,000 and $1.5 million.The rest of the details of Donald Trump Jr.’s itinerary are hazy despite repeated emails to the Trump Organization and its Indian partner Tribeca. However, local media have reported that he is slated to visit other Trump projects across India.On Wednesday he is expected to be in the eastern city of Kolkata to promote luxury housing bearing his family name there. On Thursday he is reported to be in India’s business capital, Mumbai, where he is to quaff champagne with the city’s elite at a reception hosted by the Lodha Group, the real estate company that is building the golden-hued Trump Tower there.Trump Jr.’s visit so far has been very different from his sister Ivanka Trump’s high-visibility visit to India in November, when she led the U.S. contingent at a global business conference. The city of Hyderabad filled up potholes and cleared away beggars ahead of her visit. Modi flew to Hyderabad for the conference and hosted her for dinner at a historic palace turned hotel. Television stations broadcast her speech live.In contrast, Trump Jr.’s visit seems all about keeping the spotlight on business.___AP Writers Stephen Braun and Matthew Lee contributed to this report from Washington.
Mohali: Staring at elimination, two-time champions Kolkata Knight Riders and Kings XI Punjab will lock horns in a battle of survival in Friday’s Indian Premier League (IPL) match, here. The two teams are languishing at the bottom half of the table and need to win on Friday to keep alive their remote Play-off chances. Both KKR and Kings XI have 10 points from 12 matches but the Kolkata outfit is placed a rung above Punjab at sixth in the eight-team competition by virtue of a better net run-rate. Also Read – We will push hard for Kabaddi”s inclusion in 2024 Olympics: RijijuBoth KKR and Kings XI had a decent outing in the first half of the tournament before losing the plot in the all-important second phase. After registering four wins and one loss in the first five games, KKR suffered six defeats in a row that derailed their campaign. Although KKR return to winning ways against Mumbai Indians in their last game, the Dinesh Karthik-led side need to register victories in their final two games to have an outside chance of qualifying for the Play-offs. Also Read – Djokovic to debut against Shapovalov at Shanghai MastersThe KKR top-order — Shubman Gill (75), Chris Lynn (54) and Andre Russell (80 not out) fired in unison in their last match against Mumbai Indians to lift the side to a mammoth 232 for two, a total which the bowling unit defended to register a much-needed 34-run win. Russell has been in ominous form for KKR this season and is the third highest scorer so far with 486 runs from 12 games at a staggering strike rate of 207.69. And on Friday, KKR would look for yet another superb show from the top-order to negate the team’s frailties. But if batting is their strength, KKR’s weak link is the bowling department. Veteran campaigners like Sunil Narine (2/4) and Piyush Chawla (1/57) leaked runs against MI in their last match and if not for the cushion of 230 plus score, KKR could have lost the match. Russell though was brilliant with the ball too, registering figures of impressive figures of 2 for 25. Just like KKR, Kings XI too had an erratic campaign so far and are on a three-match losing streak, going into Friday’s game. Their situation is worse than KKR as they have a negative net run rate, which eventually can come into the picture.